- Summer Rugby offered at Bayside: June 22nd – Sept 2nd
- Minis Coed Touch Rugby: Grades K-7 – Tues 6-7pm on Grass – $50 for new players ($35 for players returning from Fall session)
- Junior Girls Touch Rugby League: Grades 8-9, Grades 10-11 – Tues *7-8pm on SSAP Grass #1&2 – $70 for new players ($55 for players returning from Fall session)
- SOLD OUT – Coed Touch Rugby League: (Recommended Ages 17-34) – Thurs 7-8pm on SSAP Grass #1&2 – $75 for new players ($60 for players returning from the Fall session)
- SOLD OUT – Coed Masters and Newbies Touch Rugby League: (Recommended Ages 35+) – Thurs 6-7pm on Grass – $75 for new players ($60 for players returning from the Fall session)
- *Junior Boys: Grades 8-11- offered a 3 day training camp Wednesdays’ June 23-July 7th 6-7pm on Grass fields *(No touch league offered for Junior Boys at this time) $25 for New players ($10 for players returning from the fall session)
- IMPORTANT: for players returning from our Fall program – after selecting the program you wish to sign up for and selecting next, you will be asked to login. Once you login, you will need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the RED “Add/Renew” button. Do not click on “Upgrade / Reactivate” – you are not upgrading or reactivating your profile. If your subtotal charge shows less than $10 you have incorrectly completed the registration. You will not be insured and we will not be able to enter you onto a team. Please return to the start and redo. Don’t click the “Upgrade / Reactivate” button…
- Updated Final league times & schedules will be posted as team numbers & registrations are finalized. Times are subject to changes due to demand.
- To register – Go to http://reg.sportlomo.com/rugbycanada – Follow the instructions to register. Choose BC as Province and then choose Club “Bayside”. Select the product you wish to register for. Click Register. Create a new account if new to rugby…or… Login if you’re a returning player (Once you login, you will need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the red “Add/Renew” button). You will receive an automatic email confirmation once registration is completed successfully.
Bayside Fall Touch Rugby – 2020
Bayside RFC is excited to roll out a new league for 2020. The Fall Touch League will offer players of all ages, skill levels and genders a fast-paced game of rugby to develop skills, build on fitness and continue to evolve as Rugby players. The participants here often use organic mct oil to rapidly grow the body’s muscles. The program has been developed in conjunction with BC Rugby to build in Covid-19 safety protocols to ensure a safe environment.
This isn’t just a game of touch before practice – The program will use international touch rules and feature set teams, rolling subs, standings, and everything else a proper league should have!
The mission of this program is to:
– include all skill levels, ages and genders opportunities to play alongside each other.
– offering beginner (brand new to rugby) to intermediate (social) to competitive (elite) levels.
– attract new players (touch or contact), social members, supporters and build a rugby community of fun, fitness and friendship.
– to offer a proper touch rugby product that is more than just a pre-practice warmup game
– to foster the values and camaraderie that rugby is synonymous for in a non contact, safe and fun version of the sport.
– to create an annual 4 month window for touch rugby in warmer weather, longer days and when there’s fewer distractions from other sports
– to play weeknights after work and leave weekends free to enjoy the best of BC
– to reunite old friends, and make new ones!
Registration details are being finalized and will be provided here and on our Facebook page when available. The program will be Bayside’s most affordable ever to ensure everyone who is interested in playing some rugby can sign up.
So stay tuned and get excited for our return to the greatest sport on earth this fall!
Dear Bayside Rugby Family,
On behalf of the Bayside Rugby Club, we want to wish all of our members and their families health and happiness as we go through these challenging times. If there are no other positives, hopefully you at least get some extra time to stay home with your immediate family and appreciate those closest to you. In these uncertain times, we thought it important to reach out and provide clarity to our members on all things Bayside and how we are moving forward.
As the seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic became very clear very quickly, we decided to suspend all rugby activities on March 12. The league and national union soon officially did the same, suspending, then eventually cancelling the season, and all rugby indefinitely. This was devastating for all of our players and volunteers who put endless hours into having a successful season play out. Senior players were a few games away from the playoffs, and our Minis were just getting into the swing of the jamboree portion of their season.
Unfortunately this appears to be our new normal with no clear end in sight. The most recent messaging from Rugby Canada is that the indefinite suspension will be reviewed no later than June 30. Until a revision to this position has been published, no rugby will be played at Bayside. No practices, informal touch games, or anything of the sort. We are all champing at the bit to return, but in the grand scheme of things, our inability to play must take a backseat to the needs of our healthcare workers and our vulnerable. Please ensure your friends, club-mates and kids understand that while a game of touch with your friends may seem innocent, at this point it’s irresponsible. We encourage everyone to stay in shape and we will continue to post multiple workouts per week through some of the amazing trainers affiliated with our club. Personally, they’ve been the one thing keeping me from becoming one with my couch. We are still planning as if we will be able to run our Summer 7s and PNW Old Boys touch tournament with the SOBs, both scheduled for August. There is just no way of knowing at this point whether that is a realistic possibility, but we continue to plan for these events in case they can be held.
In these tough times, we must remember that we have an extremely strong community unit. Never hesitate to reach out if you or someone you know is having a tough time, and hopefully we can make the right connection. Look for the Bayside Community Assistance Facebook page if you are interested in helping, or know someone who might need a hand getting groceries, running errands, or anything else in these difficult times. We have been amassing a list of local businesses open and needing your support to publish on our social channels in the coming days. Please reach out if you would like to be included. Our local businesses are our sponsors and our members. They support us when things are good, so we need to support them now when things aren’t.
We understand that for a lot of people, their rugby dues are one of their larger purchases for the year. We strive to keep dues as low as possible and offer maximum value. For the majority of members, their season was cut short. We have taken a hard look and are simply unable to return this money. Much of our fundraising efforts over the past year have been refocused towards the field house, and we are operating at tighter margins as a result. As much of our costs are fixed and front-loaded, and our typical fundraising parties and pub nights also have to be cancelled, we can’t make the numbers work and return the Bayside portion of your rugby dues. Start fundraising with dugnad idrettslag sports and more.
For those who signed up for the Spring season and only received a few weeks of play, we will be crediting $50 off of next year’s dues. If you are in a position of hardship, please reach out to us about refunding this amount and connecting you with community resources by sending me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish we could offer better, but this is our current financial reality.
BC Rugby will be offering partial refunds for their portion of the dues to those who registered for Mini Rugby. If you have not been contacted directly, you can contact Marga Sison at email@example.com or phone 604-737-3065. They have confirmed that no Sr players who have played any rugby will be awarded a refund.
Rugby Canada has confirmed that their portion of the dues will only be refunded to members in cases where no Rugby was played, including practices or games. This likely does not apply to anyone, but if it does, you can apply through www.Sportlomo.com via your membership profile.
Field House Development:
Construction continues on the base build of our clubhouse project, with the construction of the deck addition beginning next week. This is one of the final critical path elements that once completed will allow crews to complete the siding, windows, and finish the base build of the project. This will allow the washrooms and changerooms to open below.
The hard work is just beginning for the Club, as the next phase is our Tenant Improvement on the upper floor for our club multi-purpose space. We are within weeks of receiving our Building Permit for these works, and at that point we will be able to begin upgrades to the inside. Next week, we will be sending out a more detailed history of the project, the steps left to complete, and details of our financial situation. We still have a lot of work to do financially to be able to afford to build our new home properly. We understand that this is not the easiest time to raise funds as many feel the economic impact of the Covid shutdown, but we have to forge ahead so that we can finish this project and realize the dream and efforts of generations of Bayside Sharks.
This is typically the time of year that we announce a date for our AGM sometime in May. We are reviewing different ways to hold our Annual General Meeting under the current circumstances. Likely, we will need to hold this online and devise a system of remotely voting for open positions. Once this has been confirmed, we will provide 1 months notice to all as to the timing and venue, virtual or otherwise.
Thank you all for your understanding and for your continued devotion to the Bayside Rugby Club. We are determined to adapt to whatever the coming months bring, and continue building this club into one of the top rugby clubs in the Lower Mainland.
Stay safe, stay home, and stay HUNGRY for the return of Rugby!
President, Bayside RFC
Bayside RFC Rugby Programs
(click the links below to see more detail):
How to Register for Bayside RFC 2019-20 Season
- Go to http://reg.sportlomo.com/rugbycanada
- Select “BC” for Province.
- Click on “Bayside RFC” for Club.
- Select the appropriate Age Category(s) registering for.
- Press the “Register” button at the bottom of page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions – Login if you are previous Bayside member or create new account if new to Bayside.
- You will receive a confirmation email once registration(s) has completed successfully.
Join us for a full day of high level 7s action in beautiful South Surrey Athletic Park! There will be food available and a beer garden, where we will also announce the prize winners of our Field House Fundraising Lottery after the tournament!
Check out the amazing lottery set up to help fund the community field house project currently underway at South Surrey Athletic Park. All proceeds go directly to field house construction. Let’s get this building built! BUY a Ticket today and support the project… 29 prizes still available
visit https://baysiderfc.rafflenexus.com to buy tickets online.
Kaj Briscoe is currently working very closely with the City’s Project Manager, Rudy Booiman. We are well aware of the delay in construction, which has been caused partly by a delay in a formal construction schedule. Kaj is arranging for us to meet with the City to review any difficulties with the construction schedule and to hasten progress in the construction process. At this meeting, we will also be requesting an update of the construction budget outlining expenses to date.
In a separate meeting, we will be getting-together with the various sub-trades to discuss ways to expedite the current construction and further advance any time savings for the interior of the building
Current activity pending to complete the shell and exterior:
- Suspended Slab shoring – about a 3 week setup to install steel, receive inspections, slab blockouts for mechanical and electrical, then pour the slab
- Framing – about a 3-4 week process to stand walls, sheath walls, install roof, then cladding.
- Material and pricing is currently being reviewed for the deck railing and glazing
We continue to look at value engineering through the exterior construction process to save and maintain funds for the “Tenant Improvements” of the building interior.
Concurrently with construction of the exterior, we continue to review the interior design and construction, and management of the fieldhouse
- Spencer Thorpe has been approached to organize the Project Management of the Tenant Improvements. Spencer will be reviewing the Tenant Improvement requirements and developing a construction schedule. This will involve meetings with the various construction sub-contractors and home experts from places such as a good Excavator Rentals Near Me to accelerate the interior construction.
- Tara Trompetter and Tim Bullinger are currently completing an interior design package to be reviewed by the Executive for approval. Upon approval, a tenant improvement application will be submitted to the City for the end of May.
- In addition to the construction handled by Kaj and Spencer, I will begin reviewing the management and operation processes for the fieldhouse including licensing, hours of operation, and management structure.
Everybody directly involved with the project understands the urgency to have our Community Fieldhouse completed as soon as possible. It wasn’t long ago people thought the construction of the building was more of a dream than a reality. We know our dream is coming true, and it is best to ensure we take the time to have our dream come to realization as our needs dictate.
In the meantime, please support and all the organized initiatives underway to help us fund our Community Fieldhouse. Spread and share the word of the Bayside Community Fieldhouse Lottery, The Builders’ Wall, and the June 1st, 2019 Fieldhouse Fundraising Social at the Star of the Sea.
– Stephen Black
Bayside Athletic Associations Field House Lottery has Launched… We need your help!
This Lottery is STACKED with 30 amazing prizes worth over $40,000 including fishing trips, golf packages, a race car experience, local artists work, and much more so if you’re into golf you can also Shop Indoor Golf equipment to play in your vacations. Also, taking about what is an albatross in golf and other tips to improve your experience. All this to help us raise funds to build the Bayside Community Field House. Plus, there’s a 50/50 draw with 29,000 tickets available for purchase…This is going to be BIG! Click the following link to check it out: Bayside Feld House Lottery
We need your help… with spreading the word… please SHARE this with your friends, family, work, Facebook…etc
100% of all proceeds go directly to building the Bayside Community Field House. Draw dates and conditions are detailed on the Lottery website. Must be a resident of BC and over 19 years of age to play