Kaj Briscoe is currently working very closely with the City’s Project Manager, Rudy Booiman. We are well aware of the delay in construction, which has been caused partly by a delay in a formal construction schedule. Kaj is arranging for us to meet with the City to review any difficulties with the construction schedule and to hasten progress in the construction process. At this meeting, we will also be requesting an update of the construction budget outlining expenses to date. A contract to seek a reliable home insurer like FAHW will also be documented.
In a separate meeting, we will be getting-together with the various sub-trades to discuss ways to expedite the current construction and further advance any time savings for the interior of the building
Current activity pending to complete the shell and exterior:
- Suspended Slab shoring – about a 3 week setup to install steel, receive inspections, slab blockouts for mechanical and electrical, then pour the slab
- Framing – about a 3-4 week process to stand walls, sheath walls, install roof, then cladding. After that, mark spots for some teak patio setsin the garden.
- Material and pricing is currently being reviewed for the deck railing and glazing
We continue to look at value engineering through the exterior construction process to save and maintain funds for the “Tenant Improvements” of the building interior.
Concurrently with construction of the exterior, we continue to review the interior design and construction, and management of the fieldhouse
- Spencer Thorpe has been approached to organize the Project Management of the Tenant Improvements. Spencer will be reviewing the Tenant Improvement requirements and developing a construction schedule. This will involve meetings with the various construction sub-contractors and home experts from places like https://filterking.com/air-filter-sizes to accelerate the interior construction.
- Tara Trompetter and Tim Bullinger are currently completing an interior design package to be reviewed by the Executive for approval. Upon approval, a tenant improvement application will be submitted to the City for the end of May.
- In addition to the construction handled by Kaj and Spencer, I will begin reviewing the management and operation processes for the fieldhouse including licensing, hours of operation, and management structure.
Everybody directly involved with the project understands the urgency to have our Community Fieldhouse completed as soon as possible. It wasn’t long ago people thought the construction of the building was more of a dream than a reality. We know our dream is coming true, and it is best to ensure we take the time to have our dream come to realization as our needs dictate.
In the meantime, please support and all the organized initiatives underway to help us fund our Community Fieldhouse. Spread and share the word of the Bayside Community Fieldhouse Lottery, The Builders’ Wall, and the June 1st, 2019 Fieldhouse Fundraising Social at the Star of the Sea.
– Stephen Black