All posts by Stephen Black

CLUBHOUSE UPDATE DEC 19/16

We are currently awaiting the release of the final construction drawings and the quantity survey. The drawings should be released any day now. Once they have been released a final quantity survey indicating the project costs will be completed.

As we wait the drawings, we have reaffirmed interest from all our sponsors that would like to be involved in the project. The sponsorship provides a significant contribution from Bayside Athletic Association to the project.

Current interested partners include:
• Gallagher Bros. Contracting
• Dryco
• Eagle West Cranes
• RnB Masonry
• B&B Contracting
• Tyler Pargee
• NorthStone Excavation
• Westform
• Arc & Spark
• Winroc
• Dan Houde

We continue to pursue further sponsors for our Club house. We are looking for sponsors or donors of labour and material in regards to wood framing, concrete, sprinkler systems, plumbing, lighting, and various fixtures. If you are aware of anyone interested in providing assistance please have them contact me, Stephen Black, stephenblack60@gmail.com or Jonathan Boughen, jbghn@yahoo.ca.

We will be holding a meeting in early January 2017 to explain the donation program and the criteria outlined by the City of Surrey. We will notify all confirmed interested parties as soon as a selected date has been confirmed.

Future issues to be addressed:
• Clubhouse room project/steering committee
• Interior designer
• Bayside Athletic Association Field House Committee/Board of Directors

CLUBHOUSE UPDATE

Surrey Parks and Recreation Facilities Dept are currently in the process of completing the detailed design of the field house project. A meeting between the Facilities Dept and the Building Dept is scheduled for the week of Aug 22/16 to discuss the application process for building permits. Completion and agreement of the detailed design is expected to be completed prior to submitting building permits for approval. The scope of work and associated building permits being discussed will be for the full completion of the lower level (washrooms and changing rooms) and completion of building envelope only of the upper floor (clubhouse room). Completion of the interior of the upper floor will be left to the responsibility of Bayside as a tenant improvement.

In addition, the P & R Facilities Dept have identified and designated an in-house Construction Manager to oversee the construction of the field house through to completion. This will have a significant positive impact on reducing building costs.

A meeting with the Facilities Dept regarding the building process is hopefully to be arranged for the week of Aug 29/16. At that time, further information will be available regarding obtaining and implementing the use of in-kind donations. We will also have more insight into the building process, and possible timelines for the project.

Donations In Kind
In regards to donations in-kind, Surrey Parks and Recreation Facilities Dept have indicated they wish to capitalize on all opportunities to bring value to the project. At this time they have strongly encouraged Bayside Athletic Association to start taking a hard look at our opportunities for in-kind contributions to the project. A complete set of drawings may be available by the end of Aug/16. As mentioned, Bayside will be asking for more direction and detail on the obtaining and implementation of donations in kind.
Shortly after the release of the completed set of detailed drawings, the P & R Facilities Dept will be requesting Bayside to confirm our in-kind donations and determine which divisions of work will need to be opened to a competitive bidding.
We have had previous donors supporting the project and we will be following up with them to inquire about their current status. In addition to these supporters, there has been significant others offering assistance. I would like to encourage all those in support of the project to give serious consideration to identifying how they or someone they know may be able to provide donations in-kind to the project. Please forward your support or information to myself, Stephen Black at stephenblack60@gmail.com, or Jonathon Boughen at jbghn@yahoo.ca.

We hope to organize a supporters meeting and an open house shortly after the meeting with P & R Facilities Dept during the week of Aug 29/16. We will continue to provide updates as more information is forthcoming.

We would also like to encourage everyone to continue to contact the Mayor and Councillors to keep this project in the forefront.

Patience and Perseverance will pay off!

Stephen “Blackie” Black

Bayside 2016 Annual General Meeting

The Bayside Athletic Association 2016 Annual General Meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 26, 2016.

The meeting will be at the South Surrey Athletic Park Rotary Field House, 2197 148th Street (14600 Rotary Way) Surrey, BC. Call to order 7:00pm

All Bayside Athletic Association members (Sr, Jr, Mini players and parent/guardian) are encouraged to attend the AGM.

The meeting agenda will include:
•a financial report;
•a summary of past season
•Q and A to provide reflection and input on past year
•an election of executive positions

Anyone who is a fully registered member, in good standing, of the Bayside Athletic Association has the right to run for a position and vote in the election process. This includes parents or guardians for those registered under the age of 18yrs.

We encourage all to express their opinion and provide suggestions in consideration of the Bayside Athletic Association.

Positions up for 2016 election:
•President (2yr term)
•Vice President (1 yr term)
•Secretary.(2 yr term)

BAYSIDE CLUB HOUSE UPDATE

We are currently working with the City Parks, Recreation and Culture staff on a redesign of the current plans. The 2nd Architect, ThinkSpace, commissioned by the City did a redraft of the drawings.  The City has pointed out a few of the changes for our review.  They are as follows:

1) Public washrooms removed from north side/top storey. A single, unisex, handicap accessible washroom would instead be developed underneath the space created by the stairway at the south end of the building. When we looked at players having washrooms and guests attending functions at the club room having washrooms, we decided to just provide one washroom. We would prefer to provide more but the budget has to be considered so that was dropped.

2) Dropping the washrooms allowed for a building access on the north side/second storey as long as the kitchen was moved. This allowed us to drop the balcony which was really running up costs. It also solves the issue of viewing through railings etc. Now a large bank of windows which would be much less expensive than the doors, balcony and railing.

3) Kitchen was moved to southwest corner. We did this knowing you need a service window and the club feels the south entrance is the most frequently used. The kitchen can be moved again but there needs to be a public entrance/fire exit on the north and south side of the building along with fire exit on west.

4) All of this allowed us to modify the ramp and avoid some costly retaining walls. It also allows the interface with the existing baseball building to be easier to construct.

We do have concerns about the public washrooms being significantly downsized. These washrooms were a major request in our requirements for the club house.

The City has also asked us to review our cash contribution. They are mindful we have met our financial obligation, but would like us to consider adding to our contribution.  Additional funds are required due to the drawings and cost survey provided by the new architect and the delays in starting the project.

We have continuously expressed our concerns regarding the delay in starting the construction of the project. We have reminded the City staff they told our membership the project would start in Sep/15.

If you would like express your concerns and assist in putting pressure on the City to begin the project, please feel free to contact the Mayor and any or all of the following City Councillors:

Mayor Linda Hepner: mayor@surrey.ca

Councillor Tom Gill: TSGill@Surrey.ca

Councillor Bruce Hayne: BruceHayne@Surrey.ca

Councillor Vera LeFranc: Vera.LeFranc@surrey.ca

Councillor Mary Martin: MMartin@surrey.ca

Councillor Mike Starchuk: Mike.Starchuk@surrey.ca

Councillor Barbara Steele: HBSteele@Surrey.ca

Councillor Judy Villeneuve: JAVilleneuve@Surrey.ca

Councillor Dave Woods: Dave.Woods@surrey.ca

“USED GEAR SALE”

I have been chosen to represent Team BC in Las Vegas for the 7’s Tournament in a few weeks and I am trying to offset some of the cost by fundraising.
I will be hosting a ‘used gear sale’ at the Bayside home fields this Saturday during the the men’s and women’s games.
Come out and support our teams and see what I have for sale!
Thanks for your support
Nicola Smith

Women’s Rugby Skills Clinics – February 17 and 24 at Klahanie Park

BC Rugby will be hosting a free skills clinic open to all Senior Women’s players from BC Rugby Club Competitions (Premier, Division 1, Division 2) on February 17th and 24th at Klahanie Park (Capilano RFC). The sessions on both dates will run from 6:30pm to 8:15pm.
Players are invited to attend this valuable rugby-skills-focused evening of training, led by BC Rugby Coaches.
If you would like more information, please contact:
Dean Murten, Performance Development Manager
778 847 2466
dmurten@bcrugby.com

HSBC Vancouver International Sevens World Rugby Series from March 11, 2016 to March 13, 2016

Are you heading to the HSBC Vancouver International Sevens World Rugby Series from March 11, 2016 to March 13, 2016. Gather with your Bayside and other International fans at the Library Square Public House.

Downtown’s Library Square Public House has announced plans to host the official B.C. Rugby Fanzone for the HSBC Sevens World Rugby Series.

For more info go to: http://www.bcrugby.com/news_article/show/610037?referrer_id=2026023